Wednesday, May 02, 2007

So What’s Dave Up To These Days?

Today is the one-year mark for my retirement. Well, retirement is not a very good word to describe what I’m doing - I’ve been hard at work on the Luke commentary for the past year. Chapters 1- 10 are now complete and it has been lots of work, but gratifying work. I hope readers will find the commentary imaginative and helpful. It is due out in the summer of 2009. In the in-between spaces I’ve been writing adult education curriculum for Nazarene Publishing House. A typical day includes 4-5 hours of writing, walks in the woods with Chris and lots of good espresso coffee from my trusty Breville. This winter we ‘worked’ as ski instructors at Lost Trail – I got in about 30 days of skiing.

We’ve acquired some property, about 8 acres in two pieces; one in the beautiful little valley called Pine Meadows (see picture) and the other on a sagebrushy rise 'up 4th of July Creek' - replete with old barn. I’m in the process of putting a house on the 4th of July lot. This summer I'll spend a couple of months refurbishing the old barn.

Most importantly, our family is well. Chris and I will soon have the joy of attending graduations for both Matt and Thom. Matt is graduating in medicine (MD, Chicago School of Medicine, North Chicago) and Thom in law (JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco). How’s that for spiffy? And in the deal we’ll get to see our three beautiful grandkids, Lexie, Maddie and Elijah. We have a lot to be thankful for.

How about a trip out to see us this summer? We'd love to see you!

2 comments:

kimberley francis said...

hey dave. good to hear your news.
thanks for your comment too. it's nice to share and hear the stories.

nonizamboni said...

Congrats on your retirement anniversary! This was very interesting reading. I was especially happy and touched to read how much your family means to you. You must be so proud.