Monday, August 27, 2007



So.....how is it coming on the barn?

Bit by loving bit, I am pulling the old girl back from the brink of ruin. Since I last blogged I've hauled another 6 or 7 trailer loads of rubbish away (still more to go), and did the devastatingly onerous work of installing 14 footings with steel foundation straps to stablize vertical supports (buried in the ground and basically rotting off at ground level - what was the guy thinking?).
I've also installed a door in the back of the barn and begun to repair the rear wall. Next I'll hang 3 garage doors and build the stairs up to the loft.

As it turns out, the old dear is leaning about 5 inches out of plumb, back to front. In short, there is not a square, plumb or level timber in the entire structure. It is starting to become apparent that I will have to do something to correct the list of the loft floor. Makes 'ya feel like a drunken sailor just to walk across it, but to me that is just a mark of her surpassing charm.

I've just had 12 yards of road base gravel delivered and am busy hauling that around with a wheelbarrow. It will have to do for the floor for now. I'll wet it and compact it with one of those cool tamping machines.

Before the snow flies I want to have a place to put my new mistress, a 1972 Datsun 240z. She is also currently in a state of advanced decline. Is there a pattern here?

No comments: