Tuesday, August 28, 2007


A New Girl in the Family


I love cars. I love everything about them. If I were a rich man I'd have many different cars, and I'd always be buying new cars. But as it is, I content myself with what I have. The Acura is a great car and it is one of the first cars I haven't wanted to sell after a year or so. I hope it stays in the family for a long time. But she is not the girl I'm talking about. It is this 1972 Datsun 240z. Please don't confuse it with its vulgar successors the 260z and 280z. No, this little sweetheart is the car that took the affordable sporting class by storm from 1970 to 1973, four great years. It has a meaty six cylinder and was one of the nicest looking production sport cars from that time. The lines are classic. I got it from a friend and it had been stripped for painting before the project went off-line. I know it doesn't look like it could possibly run, but I'm told that it indeed does. It will take quite a bit, well, a LOT of work to get it back on the road - but the first step is to get it painted and up to the barn for the winter. One minor problem: I haven't even changed the oil on a car in 25 years. Don't know a thing about working on 'em. Not to worry, I bought a book.

3 comments:

H said...

Yes there is a pattern Dave ... you have a gift of seeing beauty in things that other people can't fathom it to live. And that is just one of the reasons we love you so.

Matthew Francis said...

You mean you don't know *everything* about cars?!

Oh, that does my heart good to hear, Dave! (I feel much consoled...)

Ken said...

That's why he calls them girls.